I’ve been feeling a little under the weather lately. I find solace in cooking and baking, so I have been experimenting a lot too. This sudden crave for something sweet is killing me, so I made something out from whatever ingredients that I can find in the fridge.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 225g self-raising flour
- For the drizzle topping
- juice 1½ lemons
- 85g caster sugar
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in 225g flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined.
- Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 1/2 lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve.