World’s First Starbucks “Bing Sutt” 冰室@ Duddel Street, Hong Kong

Hong Kong & Macau 6D6N Itinerary Year 2009 - Great for First Timer!

5D4N Eat Drink HK Itinerary Year 2010 - Time to Revisit!

Food Adventures in HK Year 2011,2012,2013 - The Ultimate HK Best Eat List (HK Island) & The Ultimate HK Best Eat List (Kowloon)

IMG_2616
When in Hong Kong, one should visit a “bing sutt” in Mong Kok or Yau Ma Tei to get a slice of old Hong Long. My top pick is Mido Cafe, an old, rustic place with more than 40 years in history. However, if your coffee addiction kicks in, go to Starbucks “Bing Sutt” at Duddell Street. It is the world’s first as Starbucks have collaborated with Douglas Young’s G.O.D to create a concept coffee space. 冰室/”Bing Sutt”, which literally means ice room is the coffeehouse back in the 1950’s through to the 1970’s.
IMG_2529

Duddell Street in Central, Hong Kong is famous for its four gas-powered street lamps. These street lamps are still powered by town gas. And to get to Starbucks “Bong Sutt”, one has to climb those flight of stairs. Duddell Street Steps and Gas Lamps are declared monuments of Hong Kong.
IMG_2532
antique gas-operated street lamps
IMG_2615
view from the steps
IMG_2543
As we pushed through the door to Starbucks, we were instantly attracted by the meticulous attention to details  – the old school blinds, the dusty old fans, folding chairs, birdcages, small tiled floors, old radios, old-school electric switches, adapters and the likes.
DSC_0505

DSC_0485

IMG_2591

IMG_2579

IMG_2571

IMG_2595

DSC_0496

DSC_0487

IMG_2553

IMG_2551

IMG_2560
The drinks menu is basically the same, but Starbucks has incorporate some cha-chan-teng favourites such as egg tarts and polo buns. Yes, you can have your egg tarts with with a tall cup of Frappuccino!
IMG_2561

IMG_2569

day 2-1
merchandises for sale

Let’s take a nostalgic walk down memory lane at Starbucks Bing Sutt Duddell Street!

Starbucks + Bing Sutt
Shop M2, Mezzanine Floor
Baskerville House
13 Duddell Street, Central

Comments

1. taufulou says:

wow…what a classic hongkee style starbucks…

2. samlee860407 says:

whao, nice place!

Traditional meets modern! Nais!

4. Timing says:

Yau Ma Tei to get a slice of old Hong Long <– misspelling ;P

This starbucks looks super awesome though! When I went HK last year didn't do proper research, ended up going only to like the modern areas of town :(

5. TravelingApe says:

That’s so old school! I think it’s a smart move for Starbucks to collaborate. Egg tarts + Frappuccino, just nice.

6. mimid3vils says:

Haha, I can’t understand what is “bing sutt” at first :P 冰室 kononnya~

Oh, that staircase, always appeared at TVB dramas :)

7. Kenny says:

OMG!~ This post totally changes my perception on starbucks!

It’s so char chan teng starbuck! I’m sure if this is the starbuck right now, not many people would want to fork out tens of ringgits for a iced mocha.

it’s really the old school style, love to be here, and also the staircase. haha

9. Simon Seow says:

Aiya, why you don’t post to earlier T_T I would have visited this Starbucks when I was in HK last month. Well, I’ll going again maybe next year. lol.

10. JD says:

Love the setting of the Starbucks! So nostalgic and nice!

11. King Kong says:

It really takes me a while to get the meaning of “bing sutt” :)

This is really a new concept of Starbucks, I will make a trip to this “bing sutt” in my next trip.

12. I will go to Hong Kong the next year for business. I will eat all the traditional food of that country, but with a starbucks my coffe of all the life will be with me :)

13. Nice place to have a cuppa! Love the antique fan.

14. revel in me says:

I LOVE THIS! Read this in a magazine a few years ago, but forgot about it… Will definitely make a visit here during my next HK trip! :D

15. Evelynwann says:

I went here after friend telling me and reading from your blog. Kind of like the environment over there, it’s really different from the Starbucks that we used to see it. Nice one.
    Evelynwann´s last [type] ..Pulau Langkawi

16. Nice blog! Going to Malaysia soon, will read your blog for recommendations! :)
    DanielFoodDiary´s last [type] ..Seribu Sari – Semi Buffet Indonesian Dining A Pleasant Treat