Ah Khai Famous Char Siew Chicken Rice @ Section 20, Petaling Jaya

IMG_5244
A year ago, Ken from foodpoi told us, “You must try this stall call Ah Khai at Section 20! Their char siew is simply divine! Ah Khai, the Bangla look alike stall owner used to work in Hong Kong to master the technique of roasting.”

A month ago, David from Nuffnang told us the same thing. He described the char siew as fork tender with crispy burnt bits, and its cut into large chunky pieces.
IMG_5241

Their words kept repeating in my mind but we are always occupied during the weekends. It wasn’t until last last Saturday that we made a detour to Restoran Simon’s Delight for Ah Khai Char Siew instead of going to our favourite breakfast haunt at O&S.
IMG_5236
There was quite a big crowd during lunch time when we were there.The piece de resistance is the char siew; everyone table seemed to order it. Priced at RM6 (per pax), the portion was decent where we were not stuffed over the top and neither did we leave hungry.The char siew were tender and I love the caramelised blackish layer with slightly charred bits. What sets them apart is the chunky cut where every bite is meaty and busting with flavour.
IMG_5229
The roasted chicken was nothing to shout about though.

We have a hard time deciding which char siew tops the list – Famous Seremban Favourite or Ah Khai? It depends on whether you like fine slices like those from FSF or a casual chunky cut like Ah Khai’s. Other favourites are Char Siew Zai, 747 Coffee Shop and Meng Kee.

Ah Khai Famous Char Siew Chicken Rice
Restoran Simon Delight
No. 63, Jalan 20/7,
Paramount Garden.
Open 11am to 1pm.
Closed every second Tuesday of the month.

Comments

1. JD says:

Always love a good tasting Char Siew. Thanks for the receommendation.

*merajuk d*

i wan char siew!!! when to go together???
    .-= ai wei´s last blog ..A Wet Thai Cafe @ Taman Yulek, Cheras =-.

Last time I went to FSF, the Hakka Mee and Char Siew was not that exceptional liao. Or maybe I was expecting too much. And Bill gave measly cuts of meat only. Though still rather reasonably-priced.

Meng Kee still does not manage to charm its way into my heart. 747 – Haven’t tried, yet. :)

haha so have u found ur love?

4. tankiasu says:

Been here several times since I discovered this restaurant 2 years ago. To be frank, I thought the char siew & the chicken here are so so only. If compared with FSF or Choon Yien in Sec 17, this is really mediocre.
    .-= tankiasu´s last blog ..Do you know? =-.

really? we think that its really tender le, hehe

5. chungmilo says:

During New year, i friday eat “Char Siu Wong” at Glenmaire, saturday at dataran prima “Famous Seremban Favorites Restaurant” then sunday eat at “747 Coffee Shop”. 1st 2 shop are Good as always, but 747 char siew was more harden than the previous 2 shops, not to be bias, but my guests from Penang also commented that. I think we still prefer those char siew enter mouth then got the feeling of melting. haha…. Looking forward to try Ah Khai char siew, maybe going tomorrow for lunch.

wah so geng! char siew pro liao

chungmilo Reply:

I ordered a half thin fat from Ah Khai, but the fat portion is too fat, i as not particular on fats oso do not dare to eat. few of my friends ordered 100% thin.. then taste better than mine. Overall, i still prefer char siew at “Char Siu Wong” in Glenmaire and dataran prima “Famous Seremban Favorites Restaurant”. I found PJ have alot char siew experts, citygal, please continue recommend me places to tryout ah… haha.. Thank you…

haha i alwiz order shao with siu siu fat whenever i go, for me its the best combination coz i hate half lean half fat. :D

6. Oh.. Paramount Garden :) I think that I know where this place is!

7. eiling says:

I’m so craving for char siew right now!

ahaha me too

8. email2me says:

Char Siew crave alert ….. Miss Ah Khai’s char siew …. like you guys, I had a hard time deciding whether Seremban Fav better or this … still it depends on personal pref
    .-= email2me´s last blog ..My Hong Kong and China Gourmet Tour Itinerary With Tour2U Holidays Sdn Bhd =-.

9. johnny ong says:

better eat more b4 some politicians decide to politicise this food haha

ooo i hope not! i’ll be so upset :(

Still have not had my dose of Char Siu yet!!! This could be the place for me!
    .-= Precious Pea´s last blog ..YAKITORI @ SUMI-KA, Subang Jaya =-.

ahaha im sure ur makan gang knows better

11. Christine says:

we haven’t even try the 747 char siew yet and now one more! haha. Aiwei wants char siew crawl wo… hehe

another in the list : toast n roast, but i find it soso

12. TummyRumble says:

The Meng Kee in Glenmarie is better than the Meng Kee in KL.. Would wanna try this ah khai place though..
    .-= TummyRumble´s last blog ..Taiwanese Dessert @ Snowflake, SS15, Subang Jaya, Selangor. =-.

kong Reply:

Should try the Toast & Roast Restaurant located in SS2/72.The char siew is delicious and i likeit better than the others that i have tasted.

we went but the char siew has hardened, around 1pm. so hard that we can’t bite through. must try again at 11am

haha its a different version, tell me if u like it

13. vexus says:

tried this shop today. I can tell you the char siew is horrible and tasteless. The chicken also tasteless. The butter rice hard like rock. The whole stall operate and cook by myanmar. I do not recommend this shop for char siew lover.