Fong Lye Taiwan Restaurant @ Mid Valley Gardens

This is a very dated post where my ex colleagues had a little get-together few months back. Spurred by all the positive reviews on Fong Lye that I’ve read , I suggested dinner here.

The menu is quite extensive, one can choose from snacks, noodles, rice or the standard set meals that comes with a platter of three appetisers, a bowl of rice with minced pork and a small bowl of soup which varies from day to day.

My oolong milk tea tastes exactly like oolong tea + milk tea. One needs a little bit of acquiring when it comes to this Taiwanese drink.

Jasmine tea in cute porcelain teapot set, and the refills of hot water is unlimited.

A standard set meal.

Platter of appetizers.

Soup of the day.

Served in a flat wok over small fire, the three cup chicken set arrives piping hot. It sure does smell aromatic, with the basil leave and soy sauce. However, my ex colleague can’t even bring herself to whip everything off as the slightly burned sauce was bitter.

The chef recommendation item, Fried Fish Fillet with Tomato and Fried Egg is one of the best things that we have come across that night. Slightly tangy and sweet, it is a very appetizing dish.

My other ex colleague reckons that her Taiwanese Fried Chicken was OK but nothing fantastic.

2774973696_f6f66aa460_o

Taiwan rou yuan/meat ball (RM 5.80) is hidden beneath the thick layer of sticky dough, just like how they served it in Taiwan. It must be eaten hot; else the dough layer would gets disgustingly gummy.

The taiwan coconut milk toast (RM 3.90) with some great aroma of coconut is dipped in rich layers of butter and milk and sautéed until crisp and brown.

The sweet potato balls (RM 4.80) are nothing like my favorite stall at Petaling Street. Instead of having a crispy outer layer and mushy soft content, it was chewy and airy. With more misses than hits in our order, we can’t seem to understand what’s the hype about Fong Lye? Guess the golden formula of perpetual long queue + good crowd = good food is not always true and can’t be applied at all time. Any reasons to return? It has to be their attentive services and comfy ambiance and toasts.J
Fong Lye Taiwan Restaurant
Lot T208
3rd Floor
The Gardens
Mid Valley City
Kuala Lumpur
Tel No: 03- 2282 8699
(Non Halal. Open daily till
10pm.)

Comments

1. rokh says:

just had it the other day and the only fond memory is the shaved ice peanut dessert :) ~

Food here not bad. I like the minced pork on rice and the shaved ice peanut dessert too. Do try their outlet in hartamas. They have ala carte dishes there and very yummy too.

3. Camemberu says:

Hi, first time here too! You have a gorgeous blog. Love the photos and the details. Adding you to my fellow Malaysians blogroll!

4. Criz Lai says:

The presentation looked fine but what about the overall taste? Was it really that great as to bring a family out for a visit? I hope you can share your experience with us Penangites here :)

5. ling239 says:

so all i have to do is remember the Fried Fish Fillet with Tomato and Fried Egg ~ ^_^

6. myCoffee says:

I so agree with what you said about the sweet potato balls. What a letdown…

7. its ok for a quick bite..despite the diff expectations of the sweet potato ball (same as me, i expected something chewy)..it was quite fun to bite into nothing but air..then again, the concept is nothing but a novelty..

8. durianberry says:

I’m not familiar with Taiwan food. Mention Taiwan cuisine I can only think of XXL crispy chicken. The food looks really tasty though. Coconut milk toast sounds yummy!

9. cumi&ciki says:

Taiwanese meatballs.. sound grim! Erm.. i would feel too pressured if i had to eat it hot, so that the dough doesn’t get gummie..! lol:D a race against time! phew!

10. the few Taiwanese restaurants which has come and go couldn’t really make any lasting impressions on Malaysians right ?

probably too mild too light, being neither chinese nor Japanese nor Kortean

LOL !

11. sc says:

whenever i’m at gardens, when i suggested to try FL, my frens always objected. dont know why. so far,i’ve not tried it yet.. and looking at your review..hmmmm, shall skip it ler..

12. Gosh! I have yet to visit this place. . . . hmmmmmmmmmm…

I think the Fong Lye in Hartamas fare better than the one in Gardens.

The taiwan coconut milk toast, is it good?

15. Fairuz says:

If I may ask, where is this favourite stall of yours in Petaling Jaya ?

come and visit fong lye midvaley,food is extremly delicious……